Plaats reactie
Nofret
Site Admin

Archaeologist campaigns for removal of mummies from Museum

Bericht door Nofret » do 05 feb 2015, 21:25

En er woedt nog een andere strijd *03
-------------------------------------------

Archaeologist campaigns for removal of mummies from Egyptian Museum :

Under the slogan "Back to Eternity" Bassam Shamaa is demanding that the mummies be returned to the Valley of the Kings,

Afbeelding

Asharq Al-Awsat, Cairo—Having spent over 25 years as a tour guide in Egypt, archaeologist and Egyptologist Bassam Al-Shamaa believes ancient Egyptian mummies should not be exhibited in museums and is calling for them to be returned to their tombs in the Valley of the Kings in Luxor, where they were originally discovered.

In his online campaign named “Back to Eternity”, which was launched in 2013, Shamaa demands that the mummy chamber in the Egyptian Museum be closed, as it was under King Fuad I of Egypt (1917–1936) and President Anwar Sadat (1970–1981).

The chamber contains the mummies of Ahmos I, commonly known as the expeller of the Hyksos (ruled Egypt from 1550–1525 BCE), and King Thutmose III (ruled Egypt from 1479–1425 BCE) who is known as the Legendary Pharaoh in view of his numerous invasions and his establishment of the first systematic army in history. The chamber also contains the mummies of King Thutmose IV, King Seti I, King Merneptah and King Ramsis II who is considered to be the Pharaoh who ruled Egypt from 1279–1213 BCE during the time of Moses.

Museum visitors are required to buy a second, more expensive, ticket to enter the mummies’ chamber, a separate area where photography is prohibited.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat about the reasons for launching the campaign, despite his career as a tour guide and lecturer in Egyptian antiquities across the world, Shamaa says: “Throughout my work with tourists, I found that exhibiting our mummies was not beneficial to our civilization or our tourists. While some tourists may take photos, others mock them or even hurl insults at them. Some are indifferent about entering the chamber, while others are disgusted at seeing the corpses of people who died thousands of years ago.”

“I am demanding that these mummies are returned because of what I have witnessed over the past ten years,” he says, “Would you allow your body to be exhibited in a display cabinet after your death? Would you allow your body to be displayed to whoever purchases a ticket?”

Shamaa, who has authored a large number of books about ancient Egyptian civilization in Arabic and English, said: “I took the necessary measures and tried for more than a year and a half to have a fatwa [religious edict] issued to make it clear as to whether it is permissible to exhibit the mummies to the public. I had to go to the Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs, the Senior Muslim Scholar Authority, the Egyptian Dar Al-Iftaa and Al-Azhar Fatwa Commission, yet I failed to have a single fatwa issued governing the issue of exhibiting the corpses of dead people.”

“This issue is new and still under debate,” was the answer Shamaa received from the aforementioned official bodies, he said. He added sorrowfully: “There is no benefit to exhibiting the mummies, and there is no point in subjugating a dead body that died thousands of years ago to a DNA test. There is no point in scientists inserting a speculum into a mummy to take out a sample to tell us that, for example, Akhenaten was the brother of Tutankhamun. The entire world is well aware of this because it was written in history books dozens of years ago. In fact, had all these efforts been exerted into Egypt’s medical or engineering research, we would have come up with more useful information.”

Although he has been through the British education system—he graduated from the British Victoria College in Egypt—Shamaa demands that the UK apologize in the same manner it apologized to other countries for the cultural damage it caused during World Wars I and II. “The UK must apologize to Egypt for what the criminal archeologist Howard Carter did when removing the golden musk from Tutankhamun’s face using heated knives, causing serious damage to the mummy,” he said.

In his campaign, Shamaa also demands that the mummy of the Gebelein Man—an Egyptian who died in the pre-embalming, pre-dynastic period and was found naturally preserved by hot sand—is returned to Egypt from the British Museum in London. He said “This should under no circumstances happen to our forefathers. Shouldn’t we hold our great kings in respect? How can their sanctity be breached in this manner? Particularly as ‘burial is the way to honor the dead’ according to Islamic teachings.”

He added “Regarding the claim that mummies attest to our civilization’s greatness and [them being on display] generates income, let me say that this is incorrect because if we studied the period we spent under the late President Anwar Sadat, we would find that tourism thrived at the time when the Egyptian Museum’s mummy chamber was closed. That chamber does not generate much income despite its expensive entrance fee (100 Egyptian pounds, equivalent to 14 US dollars). This is because several tourist agencies do not include the visit to the chamber in their programs either because of the expense or because most tourists prefer not to see mummified corpses.”

Recalling a situation during one of his tours, Shamaa said: “[I was with] British tourists, one woman refused to enter the mummy chamber and was crying. I asked her why and she said she had lost her son when he was nineteen and that if she entered the room it would remind her of the event.”

Shamaa suggests that the mummies of Pharaohic kings be returned to their tombs in the Valley of the Kings as part of a major international event that could generate huge income for the country if marketed properly. He added that this event could also revive the tourist industry, which has been largely destroyed following the January 25, 2011 revolution.
http://ancientegyptianmonuments.blogspot.nl/

nn ms.i sA.w -- No one is born wise.

Thoetmosis XII
Farao

Re: Archaeologist campaigns for removal of mummies from Muse

Bericht door Thoetmosis XII » vr 06 feb 2015, 0:14

Halverwege ben ik gestopt met lezen. Enerzijds heeft ie zeker een punt, maar zijn gebazel over fatwa's en de islam (brrrrrrrr) snijdt totaal geen hout, want voor de oude Egyptenaren was het juist van belang dat ze na hun dood niet in de vergetelheid raakten, dus wat is er dan beter dan zoals het nu gaat?? En je kan respectloze mensen er altijd nog uitgooien lijkt me.
Carnarvon: "Can you see anything?", Carter: "Yes, wonderful things..."

Nofret
Site Admin

Bericht door Nofret » vr 06 feb 2015, 9:26

Vindt het ook weer een nodeloos iets, soort vechten tegen windmolens, totaal zinloos. En of het een goed plan is is ook nog te bezien, in de Valley is de bewaking nou niet echt zo goed, dan gaat de voorkeur wel uit naar het Museum, hoewel daar ook het een en ander aan schort natuurlijk. Het nieuwe Museum is nog de beste optie denk ik.

Anna
Farao

Bericht door Anna » vr 06 feb 2015, 10:57

Missers:
1) Ahmose ligt in het museum van Luxor, niet in Caïro
2) 3000 jaar oud DNA is nog steeds bruikbaar
3) Achnaton en Toetanchamon waren geen broers
4) De Oude Egyptenaren zijn niet de voorvaderen van de moslimbevolking, wel van de Kopten

Verder:
Respect t.o.v. de doden: OK. Maar gezien de algemene situatie mogen we ervan uitgaan dat de mummies binnen afzienbare tijd zijn vernield of gejat als ze worden teruggebracht naar de VK.

En "last but not least": als deze man het toerisme wil stimuleren zal hij ertoe moeten bijdragen dat heethoofdige landgenoten niet gaan dreigen met het doden van toeristen enz.

Nofret
Site Admin

Bericht door Nofret » vr 06 feb 2015, 12:10

Hihi, had het zelf nog niet eens goed gelezen, ( *10 )maar gelijk gekopieerd en geplakt hier. Dat zijn inderdaad oer stomme missers zeg !! En dat noemt zich Egyptoloog, echt weer typisch Egyptisch *04

Thoetmosis XII
Farao

Bericht door Thoetmosis XII » vr 06 feb 2015, 16:52

Waarom kunnen ze in het nieuwe museum niet een ondergrondse ruimte maken die net zo wordt ingericht als een Dal der Koningen-koningsgraf?? Soort KV5 (elke koning een eigen kamertje) en overal hiërogliefen etc. op de muur. Dan eerbiedig je de mummies en hou je de herinnering aan hen levend. Je moet naar ze kijken door een oud-Egyptische bril en niet met een moslimbril. Toevallig heeft Maarten Raven daar een paar jaar geleden nog iets over gezegd: http://cgi.omroep.nl/cgi-bin/streams?/ikon/OBAlive/20130415/hoofdgast.wmv

Bizarre fouten trouwens inderdaad *26

Anna
Farao

Bericht door Anna » vr 06 feb 2015, 18:33

Goed idee Thoetje! Wij bombarderen jou hierbij tot de opvolger van Zahi Hawass! *02

Nofret
Site Admin

Bericht door Nofret » vr 06 feb 2015, 19:07

Mag ik dan je assistente zijn ?? <happy>

Thoetmosis XII
Farao

Bericht door Thoetmosis XII » vr 06 feb 2015, 19:20

Haha, ik moet er niet aan denken. Het mag dan wel een droombaan lijken voor Egypte-liefhebbers, maar dan wel graag zónder Egyptenaren *04

Maargoed, als ze toch bezig zijn met zo'n ruimte, dan kunnen ze meteen bij elke mummie een reconstructie van het hoofd van de desbetreffende farao zetten (CT-scan, schedel printen in was, forensisch expert ernaar laten kijken en klaar is kees). Dan zien mensen niet alleen de mummie, maar ook de farao zoals ze écht waren.

scarabee
Farao

Bericht door scarabee » vr 06 feb 2015, 20:55

Als ik de berichtjes hierboven lees is het mij meteen klip en klaar waarom de hedendaagse Egy's nog altijd in armoede ronddraaien.
Zie hier: Na één zo'n bericht stromen de ideeën en plannen al naar buiten: het kan zus, het kan zo, als ze nu eens dit, als ze dat...
Dat is het verschil: nadenken en meteen aanpakken, en niet de hele dag met je neus in het zand blabla roepen en alles laten verzieken en maar op z'n beloop laten.
Kijk ook eens op mijn Website: www.renedemila.123website.nl

Thoetmosis XII
Farao

Bericht door Thoetmosis XII » vr 06 feb 2015, 21:55

Ze zitten zelfs letterlijk met hun neus in het zand. Vijf keer per dag en dan richting het oosten *04

scarabee
Farao

Bericht door scarabee » za 07 feb 2015, 9:36

Dat bedoelde ik... *22 Maar daar bereik je niets mee, of toch wel, een mooi plekje in het hiernamaals. *21
Kijk ook eens op mijn Website: www.renedemila.123website.nl

Nofret
Site Admin

Bericht door Nofret » zo 08 feb 2015, 11:29

Dat is het verschil: nadenken en meteen aanpakken, en niet de hele dag met je neus in het zand blabla roepen en alles laten verzieken en maar op z'n beloop laten.

Zit in de aard van het beestje, bokra, brokra, dat betekend, Morgen, Morgen, altijd maar morgen met die lui en doen ho maar, zo blijf je inderdaad wel in de middeleeuwen hangen !!

Ze zitten zelfs letterlijk met hun neus in het zand. Vijf keer per dag en dan richting het oosten

Struisvogel politiek noemen ze dat <crazy>

Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Musea / Musea with Ancient Egyptian Collections.”