Egypt to Germany - "No can do"

Wil je iets kwijt over Dr. Zahi Hawass, de Directeur-Generaal van het archeologisch instituut in Egypte, dan kan je dat hier.

Moderator: Thoetmosis XII

Plaats reactie
Nofret
Site Admin

Bericht door Nofret » do 04 okt 2007, 16:56

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Egypt Supreme Council of Antiques rejected a compromise offer made by the director of the Berlin-based Egyptian Museum to hand Egypt some ninety mummies kept by the museum in exchange for dropping claims over the Bust of Nefertiti.

Secretary General of the SCA Zahi Hawass said that these mummies, smuggled from Egypt during the 19th century, are not royal and of no importance.

The Bust of Nefertiti was taken out of Egypt at the beginning of the 20th century under dubious circumstances. In a clash reminiscent of the Iliad, Egypt has demanded the return of the royal lady, whose name means "The Most Beautiful One has Come". Germany has refused to return the valuable statue, an icon of Egyptian culture, citing, among other reasons, that the piece is too fragile for transportation.

Egypt wants the Bust of Nefertiti for the inauguration of the new Grand Egyptian Museum, scheduled to open in 2011, and is willing to settle for a temporary loan.

So far, Germany has agreed to return the 4500-year-old ancient Egyptian statue of Hemiunu, a vizier during the reign of his uncle, Khufu, regarded as the architect of that pharaoh's pyramid at Giza.
http://ancientegyptianmonuments.blogspot.nl/

nn ms.i sA.w -- No one is born wise.

nefer i chet

Bericht door nefer i chet » do 04 okt 2007, 21:08

Het lijkt wel koehandel, duitsland geeft enkele mummies terug aan Cairp, en de claim naar de fameuze buste vervalt. Cairo heeft toch al genoeg oudheidkundige vondsten, voor hun verleden van volledige onverschilligheid jegens oudheidkundige vondsten mogen ze ook wel een prijs betalen, nl de verspreiding van hun erfdeel over de wereld.
Zoiets kun je ook koesteren, ik ben best trots als nederlander dat er heel wat oude hollandse meesters in buitenlandse musea te vinden zijn, schilderkunst daar heb ik het over,

hans.hutting
Vizier

Bericht door hans.hutting » vr 05 okt 2007, 17:04

Maar de Nachtwacht kun je vergelijken met de buste van Nefertiti, dat hoort in het land van herkomst.
Nehes,Nehes Nehes Nehes em Hotep Nehes em neferu Nebet hotepet Weben en hotep Weben en Neferu Nutjert en ankh Nefer em pet Pet em hotep Ta em hotep Nutjert sat Nut Sat Geb, merit Ausar Nutjert asha renu Anekh brak Anekh brak Tu a atu Tu a atu Nebet Aset

nefer i chet

Bericht door nefer i chet » vr 05 okt 2007, 19:46

Wanneer een schilderij in een museum belandt is het over met de verkoop, en blijft dan meestal waar ie is, is een schilderij in partikuliere handen, dan zit het object in het commercieele circuit.
En de Nachtwacht is door toeval altijd in Amsterdam gebleven, in bezit van een museum.

Nofret
Site Admin

Bericht door Nofret » di 20 nov 2007, 5:58

Egypt-Germany row over Nefertiti bust cools

1 day ago

CAIRO (AFP) — Germany is willing to consider whether an ancient Egyptian statue at the centre of a row between the two countries can be returned to Cairo for display, Egypt's antiquities chief Zahi Hawass said on Sunday.

Berlin has proposed to set up a joint committee with Cairo to examine whether the controversial bust of Queen Nefertiti currently housed in Berlin's Altes Museum can safely make the trip to Egypt for display within two years, he said.

"The letter that we received from Berlin says that the statue is very fragile," and that a joint Egyptian-German committee should decide if it can travel in the next two years, Hawass said.

"The statue, in my opinion, is in good condition and should travel to Egypt within two years," Hawass said during a ceremony to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the German archeological institute in Egypt.

Cairo and Berlin have frequently clashed over the 3,400-year-old limestone bust, which was unearthed by German archaeologists on the banks of the Nile and taken to Germany under a 1913 agreement.

Nefertiti, renowned as one of history's great beauties, was the wife of Pharaoh Akhenaton, remembered for having converted his kingdom to monotheism with the worship of one sun god, Aton.

Hawass, the director of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, threatened earlier this year to ban future exhibitions of its ancient artefacts in Germany if Berlin refused to return the statue.

Herman Panzinger, head of the German archeological institute, meanwhile told AFP that research was now underway in Berlin to determine "if one can transport Nefertiti or not."

"When they have this result, they will discuss this with the Egyptians," he said.

Hawass wants to display Nefertiti at the opening of the Akhenaton Museum in Minya, Upper Egypt.
http://ancientegyptianmonuments.blogspot.nl/

nn ms.i sA.w -- No one is born wise.

Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Zahi Hawass”